Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Perspective

I recently had a birthday. Now that I no longer live with my ex my children really don’t have anyone except yours truly to prompt them that my birthday was coming. Now, being the birthday slut that I am I made sure that my children were well aware that mommy’s birthday was tomorrow. Now in my defense, I am helping them learn the importance of remembering your friends and families birthdays and important dates…did you buy that?

So, come four o’clock in the morning on the eve of my birthday my four year old son comes walking in my room with the innocence only a child can muster exclaiming that he had to go potty NOW. Due to recent experience, I know better than to waste even a moment and we run, not walk, to the bathroom. As my son takes care of business I stand behind him bleary eyed leaning up against the wall waiting for him to finish. During this he looks up at me in the mirrors’ reflection blinking and yawning, looks me directly in the eye and says “Hattee Birtday Mommy.” Tears well up in my eyes and I reach down hug him and say thank you sweetie you just made mommy’s day. I love you very much. This of course pleased him to no end and I was peppered with Hattee Birtdays for the next 24 hours.

I’m not sure if it was the fact he remembered or how and when he said it but it was absolutely precious. I’ll remember it forever. I was not looking forward to this birthday to be honest. I guess it’s facing the fact I’m getting older, I’m single and starting over...the list goes on, but I realized that regardless of past or future challenges I am incredibly fortunate and truly blessed.

7 comments:

ArtfulDodger said...

Children have such a way of putting things into the proper perspective for us don't they? Good to see you back beautiful and happy belated birthday. I know I don't say it as cute, but I certainly hope it is the beginning of a new life for you. ;)

Annalis said...

Hey Art, thank you! Yes, it is a beginning of sorts and I'm going to enjoy it...

Anonymous said...

That's a lovely story! And hattee birthday from me too x

TJ said...

What a heartwarming moment--and so beautifully told.

Hattee Birthday--and great to see you posting again!

:)

Annalis said...

wdky ~ Thank you!

tj ~ Thanks, and it feels great to post again. Let's see if I can keep it up... :)

Trouble said...

Happy Birthday, sweetie. Trust me, it gets better. You're still so young!

Annalis said...

Hey, Spill the beans...thank you!!