Monday, May 22, 2006

Where to begin?

I have decided to share my Saturday night drama. Sometimes you just need to get this stuff off your chest. This is an abbreviated version but you’ll get the gist.

Received a call from the ‘soon to be ex’ at about 11:15pm. Prior to this, I had no idea where he was, which is normal.

Ex: Pick me up. The cops impounded my truck.
Me: Where are you?
Ex: At a bar downtown.
Me: The kids are sound asleep. Why don’t you call your friend ‘C’. He only lives four blocks away.
Ex: Oh I see how you are. Showing your true colors. Never mind I’ll walk home.
Me: How can you walk home if you can’t even find your car?
Ex: I didn’t lose my car the cops impounded it. Forget it. I’m a grown man and I can take care of myself.

So, I promptly call ‘C’ to ask if he would mind calling the Ex and picking him up. ‘C’ agreed and went out on what ended up being a wild goose chase. The Ex was nowhere to be found.

Ex: Don’t have your friends do your dirty work.
Me: Are you ridiculous? Tell me where you are?
Ex: No, who cares if something happens you don’t care about me. If I get killed I have life insurance.
Me: Tell me where you are.
Ex: Forget about it. You don’t care.

Hmmmm…does anyone else see a trend here? I believe the Ex wants some attention and is clearly grabbing at straws. Unbelievable. Only the day before he’s telling me how responsible he is and how the kids are the most important things to him. They are the most important things as long as he thinks it’s what I want to hear.

Me: Where are you?
Ex: I’m in my truck. I found it.
Me: You can’t drive. Tell me where you are.
Ex: I’m a big boy.

Ten minutes later, he pulls up to the house. Lucky bastard. Not that I want him or anyone else hurt, but we live in a small city and the cops usually have nothing better to do than look for drunk drivers.

Of course, the next morning he is defensive and was only “blowing off steam”. Huh, how mature. I told him it was unacceptable that he would want his kids to see him like that, he promptly started apologizing and hasn’t stopped since.

He and I have been working out the details as well as trying to get to some common ground before I filed for divorce. This was mainly for the kids sake. The Ex is not a real stable man and I hoped going about this methodically would be the best course. Clearly, I was mistaken. It’s embarrassing. How did I end up with marrying someone who can act like this with little if any remorse?

I’m filing for divorce this week.

6 comments:

Kent said...

Very brave post. I'm sure I speak for all your fans when we say, "Bravo," and "You, Go Girl."

Reward yourself with a Limonata.

:)

Anteros said...

I'm sure all of us who seek divroce end up asking ourselves how we got married in the first place. Must be a curse...

WDKY said...

Well, I don't want to buck the trend here (ahem), but maybe he's reacting to what's happening in his life? Or maybe not... what do I know?

In any event, good luck with the filing. It's very symbolic, I'm sure, although mine's still sitting on my lawyers desk.

Which reminds me...

ArtfulDodger said...

Obviously some intense emotions are swirling around the stress and uncertainty of upcoming events, soon to be encountering those myself I'm sure. All I can say is hang in there and try to maintain, for the children and for your own sanity. ;)

Annalis said...

Kent - Limonata with something a bit more stronger. :) Thank you for being my number one fan!

Anteros - A very nasty curse indeed.

WDKY - Always the voice of reason...

Art - Yes, sanity is oh so important right now. It's so easy to lose...

Hill Billy Rave said...

Sounds like that really sucked. You seem to be fine, though. You've been spot blogged.