Wednesday, August 30, 2006

A Day in the Life…

Alarm goes off at 6:00am…snooze until 6:30am. Yes, I hit the snooze repeatedly, what can I say I’m not a morning person and what’s up with my snooze only lasting for 7 minutes! Can’t they create an alarm clock with a 10-minute snooze? Round up, people, I work so much better with even numbers.

Drag ass out of bed and stumble to the shower. Lean against the wall whilst I wait for the water to warm up…takes several minutes or so it seems. Close eyes and try not to fall back asleep.

Step into the shower and sigh…love the hot shower. Soap, wash, rinse, repeat. Oh, and let’s not forget to shave. I’m 5’8 so I have a lot of leg to shave and trust me at that time of the morning I’m wishing I was a few inches shorter.

Slide into my cozy robe and step into the bathroom to continue my morning routine. I won’t bore you with the details…bottom line…it takes time to get this gal out the door.

Once, I’ve finished with me the kids are next…which is challenging to say the least cause I passed on my ‘not a morning person’ to both my kids. Yeah. I have to get them up early than I should just so they can adjust to being awake before I make them eat breakfast…

We are out the door running. I try very hard not to be late. I try very hard…sometimes we make it and sometimes we don’t. I take my oldest to school and we wait until he’s hustled into his class. I smile at the teacher and speak to a few parents IF I’ve had enough coffee by this time. Some days I’m very friendly and some days I scowl. Then it’s off to preschool and again I make nice with the teachers and I’m off to work.

I work. I love my job and I know how fortunate I am. Won’t bore you with the particulars.

I leave. I’m fortunate that I have a daycare program that will pick up my son from school so I am able to keep a roof over our heads.

I wrangle with traffic to get to the daycare and pick up my children. Some days traffic and I get along, other days I cuss like the truck driver taking over two lanes and causing a back up of mass proportions. I enjoy cussing, feels good. Besides, I have to get it out of my system before the kidlets get in the car.

Darn, this is getting long and most likely boring as hell. I’m almost done.

We get home and snacks must be had…life will not continue if I don’t fix the snacks to keep all hell from breaking loose. Once the chaos slows I consider what we should have for dinner (a domestic goddess I’m not) and the kids play. Some days this requires my help like pushing them on the swing for hours and hours and hours. I can’t fault them…who doesn’t love the swings.

So let’s wrap this up. We eat dinner, bath the dirty monkeys, and proceed to bed.

If I’m lucky, I’ll get to catch a reality show or two…yes, a weakness but damn, they’re addicting.
Either I will eventually go to bed while reading or after I take some personal time, which is another post...

Alarm goes off at 6:00am…snooze until 6:30am…here we go again.

6 comments:

Trouble said...

Wow, am I intimately aquainted with this life, lol. Sounds just like mine.

I love to sleep, and I sleep as long as I can, every single day. Further, I love that hot shower. Some of my best work thoughts occur naked, in the shower, with the hot water flooding down on me.

Don't really know why that is, but it works for me.

Kent said...

Mornings suck. They should be outlawed.

WDKY said...

It's life, Jim, but not as we know it...

Tiffanie said...

Wow. This sounds amazingly like my life.

Hill Billy Rave said...

5'8" with alot of leg to shave.:) I'm glad you posted somethingpositive.

TJ said...

I think you and I are living nearly identical lives on opposite coasts...lol.

and 5'8" is a perfect height...speaking as someone who's 6'1"

;)